Issue 115 - FALL/WINTER 2021
Joannie Lafrenière’s Gabor pays tribute to prolific Hungarian-Canadian photographer Gabor Szilasi with humour and affection. Subscribe today!
Cover photo by Joannie Lafrenière.
This issue is generously sponsored by Telefilm Canada.
Also Inside this issue (pick up a print copy to read!)
Editorial by Marc Glassman
“Phil Bergerson: A Life in Photography” by Vincenzo Pietropaolo
– On the road in the U.S. with a Canadian photographer
“Celebrating Gabor Szilasi” by Marc Glassman
– A legendary photographer gets documented
“Documenting Migration” by Justine Smith
– What should films show us about the global refugee crisis?
“Our Love Affair with Celebrity Chefs” by Karen Gordon
– Why do we adore food and the people who make it? Films like Roadrunner and Julia give us much to savour.
“A Shared Vision” by Allegra Moyle
– A writer wonders what it means to maintain vision while losing one’s sight, and looks at disability on film as told by artists with disabilities.
“Top Ten Films on Black Women Artists” by Gesilayefa Azorbo
– From Nina Simone to Beyoncé, Azorbo celebrates Black excellence
Oscar Peterson: Black + White celebrates a Canadian icon, but reveals our ongoing discomfort with confronting this country's ongoing history of racism.Read More