The POV VIFF Hub!
Stay tuned for complete coverage from this year’s Vancouver International Film Festival!
Features and Interviews
- Get Out Your Knife and Fork: It’s VIFF Time! – DW
-An overview of VIFF’s doc line-up.
- “Populism: Documenting the Controversial Movement” – Daniel Glassman
-Astra Taylor’s VIFF doc What is Democracy? is one of several new films tackling the current political climate. (Pick up a copy of POV #109 to read. Subscribe or order your single copy today!)
- “The Epoch Films of the Anthropocene” – Michael John Long
-VIFF docs Sharkwater Extinction and Anthropocene are two films that tackle the new age of human-made destruction on the environment. (Pick up a copy of POV #109 to read. Subscribe or order your single copy today!)
- The Call of the Wild: Grant Baldwin’s This Mountain Life – Pat Mullen
-Baldwin discusses his film about a mother/daughter trek through the Coastal Mountains and the power of the mountain life.
- Short Circuit – PM
-VIFF picks Pumpkin Movie by Sophy Romvari and Veslemøy’s Song by Sofia Bohdanowicz are among the shorts ushering in a new generation of filmmakers.
- Sites of Memory: Igor Drljača’s The Stone Speakers – PM
-Drljača discusses his new film about tourist sites in Bosnia and the contradictions of national myth-making.
- Who is Astra Taylor? – Susan G. Cole
-Profiling the director of What is Democracy?
- Anthropocene’s Three Filmmakers and Ecological Disaster – SC
-A chat with Jennifer Baichwal, Edward Burtynsky, and Nick de Pencier
- Destroyer Dominated TIFF’s Platform Competition, But Where Were the Docs? – PM
-Karyn Kusama’s Detroyer was the best film at this year’s Toronto International Film Festival and now it’s ready to take VIFF by storm.
- The POV Interview: Ina Fichman – Marc Glassman
-The producer of The Oslo Diaries reflects on her career in documentary.
- Anthropocene: The Human Epoch – PM
- Bathtubs Over Broadway – PM
- Birds of Passage – PM
- Capernaum – PM
- Carmine Street Guitars – PM
- Diamantio – DG
- The Distant Barking of Dogs – DG
- Fausto – DG
- An Elephant Sitting Still – DG
- Holy Angels – PM
- The Image Book – DG
- Long Day’s Journey Into Night – DG
- Maria by Callas – PM
- The Oslo Diaries – PM
- Ray & Liz – DG
- Sharkwater Extinction – PM
- The Silence of Others – Liam Lacey
- What Walaa Wants – Amy Siegel
- What You Gonna Do When the World’s On Fire? – DG
VIFF runs Sept. 27 to Oct. 12.
Visit VIFF.org for more information.