The POV RIDM 2020 Hub
Stay tuned for complete coverage of this year’s Montreal International Documentary Festival (RIDM), which runs from Nov. 12 to Dec. 2.
- The POV Interview: Mira Burt-Wintonick on Wintopia – Marc Glassman
-POV’s current editor discusses a new film that is a fitting tribute to Canada’s “documentary ambassador” and former POV editor Peter Wintonick by his daughter Mira.
- Nostalgia for City Life: Jean-François Lesage on Prayer for a Lost Mitten – Pat Mullen
-The director discusses his film that explores the lost pleasures of urban life by following the stories of items recovered in the Montreal metro.
- Hot Dogs: Elizabeth Lo Discusses Her Festival Winner Stray – PM
-An interview with the director on her exquisitely-shot portrait of dogs in Istanbul, which is a must-see for anyone who loved Kedi.
- From Kenya with Love and Fear – Liam Lacey
-Director Sam Soko’s Softie profiles photojournalist and activist Boniface “Softie” Mwangi.
- Michèle Stephenson on Stateless and the Battle of Narratives – PM
-The director discusses her compelling study of institutionalized racism past and present.
- The Forbidden Reel: Passion Over Politics – Victor Stiff
-Ariel Nasr’s new NFB film The Forbidden Reel shares rare excerpts from classic Afghan cinema and images of life pre-Taliban.
- Documentary in the Time of COVID – PM
-The directors of RIDM selections No Ordinary Man and Les libres discuss the challenges of completing a film during a pandemic.
- Cecilia Aldarondo Talks Landfall and the Power of Puerto Ricans – Justine Smith
-The director discusses her community-based approach to filmmaking.
- A Lesson in Dying – JS
-Catarina Vasconcelos discusses her new film The Metamorphosis of Birds
- Downstream to Kinshasa – PM
- The Earth Is Blue as an Orange – IC
- The Grocer’s Son, the Mayor, the Village and the World – JS
- Inconvenient Indian – MG
- Lichen – PM
- The Magnitude of All Things – PM
- Małni – towards the ocean, towards the shore – IC
- Me and the Cult Leader – MH
- Night Shot – PM
- No Ordinary Man – PM
- Ouvertures – JS
- Passage – ML
- The Plastic House – PM
- Purple Sea – IC
- Southern Sorceresses – ML
- The Two Sights – JS
- Under the Same Sun – LL
- Zero – TH